Diamonds / intro
Information about the “Four Cs” is everywhere but the details of any diamond go far beyond convenient letter grades. Simple descriptions and diagrams cannot communicate the complex and variable grading criteria that relates to the specifics of each diamond. At Continental Diamond we are more.
The cut grading currently only applies to Round diamonds as they are technically easier to measure in terms of light performance. Other shapes - such as Princess cuts, Cushions cuts, Emerald shapes, do not have a cut grading on their certificates.
Diamonds / shapes
The princess cut diamond is exceptionally brilliant. With its square to rectangular shape it is a modern cut that is becoming increasingly popular.
Diamonds / 5c’s
Cut determines not only the shape of a diamond but how much sparkle the diamond will have. A precision cut will bring out the most brightness and sparkle from any diamond. Each shape is slightly different in how it sparkles and shines. Emerald cuts are sleeker, more elegant. They shine more than they sparkle. Cushion and round cuts have the most brightness and fire. Think about this when you choose a diamond.
The majority of diamonds havecolor. They are graded on a scale from D (colorless) to Z (yellow) and can be fancy colors beyond that, such as pink, blue, brown, and green. Most engagement ring diamonds are in the F-G-H-I color range, this are the colorless to near colorless range.
Clarity is the most important “C” and is graded on a scale from F (flawless) to I3 (heavily included). Most engagement ring diamonds are in the VS! – VS2 – SI1 – SI2 range, from very slightly included to slightly included. It is important to avoid low clarity stones because the imperfections within the gem will affect how the diamond ill sparkle. The light will not be able to travel smoothly creating dark or “dead” areas within the stone. Anything above SI1 you need magnification to see the inclusion. Above VVS2, there are practically no imperfections and microscopes are needed to view them.
Carat is the actual weight of the diamond. The outer dimensions can vary due to the cut, but the weight may be the exact same. This is what diamond price is based off of.
AA diamond's carat weight is a reflection of its size. F1 carat is equivalent to 200 milligrams. To best reflect its size, however, a pear shaped diamond should also have a quality cut grade. Popular carat sizes near 1 carat include: 0.91, 0.94, and 0.98. For the best value, we suggest considering a carat weight slightly lower than you planned for. What you save in this carat weight
online vs in store
- The stone you see is the stone you buy
- Don’t buy based off a cert
- Heaviest doesn’t always mean the biggest
- HUGE PRICE RANGE!
- The reason you want to see it in person, but they may have every spec the same cert it depends where and how inclusions are and then it won’t shine. It may have a black spec right in the middle or a big reflective crack that creates a white line through the stone.
- How can you guarantee what the diamond you see is the diamond you get?
- Photos may be altered or a simple stock photo
- Diamond enhancements. If you don’t know what to look for how do you know that you are getting a fully natural stone. It might be glass filled or heat treated which will decrease the value of the stone in a way – we want to choose the best stone for you!
- Diamonds are not a product, like something mass produced in a factory.
- Every diamond is completely unique and in order to choose the right one you must see it in person.
- At Bravo Jewellers, we let you see the diamond. We take it outside with you and look at it in natural light to see how the light interacts with it. How it shines.
- We would never buy a diamond without seeing it and we get first pick.
- Worldwide, jewelers get the first pick of diamonds. The unwanted and leftover diamonds then get dumped onto the highest bidder and sold, mostly online.
- We want to make sure YOU get first pick too.
- Online shops make you be the expert on diamonds.
- Diamond certifications can be complicated to understand.
- At Bravo Jewellers our Graduate Gemologists will help explain and questions on the spot.
- Let us hand pick a set of diamonds that fit your budget.
- We have access to the largest pool of diamonds and carefully choose a few for you to compare.
Diamonds / why us
- If you shop with us we will find the Best stone for your budget.
- Tell us what is important to you and we will do the leg work to find the perfect diamond.
- You aren’t just buying a diamond; you are buying a legacy that will be passed down through the family tree.
- We take care of you after your purchase. You are welcome to stop buy and enjoy complimentary cleaning services, our friendly and easy cleaning process and the personal personnel who are here to answer your diamond questions
- Happy to HELP you find the perfect diamond
- We let you see the diamond. We take it out and look at it in natural light to see how the light interacts with it.
- We guarantee our diamonds have the Sparkle that she wants.
- With access to the largest pool of diamonds available
- Our graduate gemologists will hand select a set of diamonds for you
- Our Graduate Gemologists specialize in diamonds We are proud to say we are the only jeweler in North of San Diego to do everything in house!